Thursday, January 12, 2012

woes of potty training

I was thinking of calling this post my philosophy on potty training, but then I almost laughed out loud at the notion of me having a philosophy on a matter that is entirely too new. I don't know that I'm even entitled to such a formed opinion of a matter that I have so little experience with, but I'm going with my gut on this, and so far, it's working!

Because I am a working mom and run a business, potty training was something I was dreading for a long time. I also am cursed/blessed (depends on how you look at it, I guess...) with an extremely laid-back personality. So, when it comes to battles with a toddler, I usually try to avoid them at all costs. I take the "no drama for your mama" approach, and since potty training can be a huge battle, I decided it wasn't worth forcing if he wasn't ready and/or willing.

I also knew that potty training required a huge amount of dedication, time, constant persistence, and love for laundry. To me, it just didn't sound doable or enjoyable - for either of us! Plus, with me gone for a few hours at a time in the afternoons, how was I supposed to enforce such a thing? So, I decided to just let the diapers run their course; surely he wouldn't want to use them forever, right? I should also mention that, with such a busy body son, he just never seems to have time to go potty - even when asked, he just doesn't want to do it.

At times, I felt guilty - like, maybe I should be pushing this issue. But then I entered into a conversation on facebook after an old friend of mine had used the phrase "self potty training." I just HAD to know what this was all about! Could it be? An actual term - or do I even dare say - movement to the madness behind my idea? Indeed! She told me that, with the birth of her second daughter, she just did not have the time to dedicate to actual potty training with her toddler. So, like me, she decided to allow her daughter to do it when she was ready. No pushing, forcing, pulling out hair, etc. Sure, it takes a little more time, and these children aren't actually 'ready' until closer to 3, but it works! And best of all? It comes without a battle! Just my style...

So, how's it going? I'm happy to say that, as of Tuesday this week, my son has been wearing big boy underpants. It started that day around lunch when he went in the potty and, with a little encouragement from mom, Lincoln put on his underpants. I thought for sure that he wouldn't want to wet those - no matter how busy he was. So far, I've been right! He only had 1 accident, which was yesterday when he was at grandma's house. I will say, he's been wearing pull-ups at night, but I'm only ready to conquer one battle at a time. For now? we are a happy, drama-free, and dry family ;)

2 comments:

  1. Had to encourage you about the potty training. My first started early but decided she had better things to do. Then, around 3 - she just decided she was ready and pretty much did it herself. My second is now 3 but still in the "occasional" mode. But, I learned from the first time around not to make it a big issue and let her come around on her own. Less stressful for her and for me. Your little guy will get there. Hang in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monna! He'll be 3 in a month and he's totally ready, just too busy sometimes ;) He does better when wearing underpants rather than a pull-up, which is fine with me, except when we leave the house -lol! I know it will all come in time...
      I love your blog, btw :)

      Delete