Monday, January 2, 2012

Ramblings of a 2 year old...

So, if you have children, you are well aware that, by the time they can speak, they don't stop - speaking, that is. My son was an early talker - he had a small, understandable vocabulary by 15 months, and by the time of his 2nd birthday, we knew we had an opinionated and confident little boy. He's always had something to say about everything. He will be 3 in a couple of months, so you can imagine how much his language skills have grown. He uses full sentences and forms them properly - it's actually quite amazing! I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my English degree, and the fact that I have corrected his speech along the way, but I probably shouldn't take any credit - he is just a determined child and one that has had an insatiable desire to speak his mind from day one!

At any rate, I have started a new habit with him that I sincerely hope will stick. We are learning short, simple, Bible verses every week or two, which has become a really special time for him and I. It all started earlier December when Lincoln received a take-home Christmas booklet in the nursery that had a Bible verse written in it, along with the condensed Christmas story and fun games. One morning over breakfast, I was reading him the booklet and went through the verse with him - "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son." I said over and over, and after a few times, he tried saying it with me. After 2 days, he had it and has been quoting it ever since!

Last week, I thought, "why stop there?" So, we didn't. He almost has this one down perfect: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."  It's really quite precious and allows me to provide him with something positive to hold in his heart forever. It's true - toddlers repeat EVERYTHING they hear - good and bad. So, why not give them something good to say? Something that could change their life forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment